Wednesday 23 April 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Film Review

Film: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 
Genre: Comic Book Film, Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi


Click the poster for the trailer :) 




Captain America: The Winter Soldier Film Review

I finally managed to get to see this in the cinema the other week. I dragged my mom along and she really doesn’t do superhero or action movies. Bless her. But she didn’t fall asleep, so the movie couldn’t have been that bad!

I always feel that out of all the Marvel Superhero films that the Captain America ones seem to be more political. In a sense that, it seems more about government issues and less about over the top save the word stuff. I mean it still has all the Save the World stuff in it but it seems to be about more than that.
I have to admit; out of all the Marvel-verse films that I’ve seen so far (Iron Man/s, Thor/s, Avengers and Captain America,) Captain America was my least favourite one. In my head I scored it a 6/10 which for a Marvel film in my opinion is pretty low.

This film however, was miles better than the first one, it wasn’t overloaded with action scenes and it didn’t bore me to tears with all the political gobble. And a bonus? Chris Evans looked as hot as ever of course.

I'm bringing sexy back...

I have to say though, Samuel L. Jackson kind of annoyed me in this film, and I really didn’t care for his character this time around. Maybe it’s because he had more screen time in this than any other film but Nick Fury began to irritate me. I always liked him in the other films but not so much this one. I don’t care that he was getting kicked out of SHIELD, the only thing that was good about Nick Fury in the film was the scene where he was getting car chased. That scene was one of my favourites as Nick Fury, who was being shot at a bunch of times, calmly tells his car to protect him. That sounds weird but you’ll probably know what I mean.

I've had it with this motherfucking guy in this motherfucking film!

I enjoyed Scarlett Johansson in this film, she did a good job at playing the hard ass-kicker, though one thing, what was up with her hair? It was too perfectly straight all the time and just didn’t look right! I realise that sounds incredibly superficial but still, it got annoying for no reason whatsoever. Anyway, I’m shallow enough to say that I kind of liked the little bits of romance in the film. I liked the idea of Steve and Natasha, I remember seeing stills of them kissing so I was a little disappointed to find out it wasn’t a real kiss.



This shit just ain't natural. 
The biggest twist to me was not a shock, I had it figured out about twenty minutes beforehand – I’m going to get spoiler-ish here, so skip if you don’t want to know! I think I kind of ruined it for myself since I was sure that Sebastian Stan was in this movie, I was wondering where he was for ages and then it clicked. So yeah, ruined the twist for myself a little there. Though, I loved the moments between Bucky and Steve. I never thought I would say this, since romance is my favourite thing in just about anything – my favourite part of this film was their friendship.

The film had great action scenes and it wasn’t overloaded with them either, which I liked a lot. Kudos for the scene involving Peggy – I really liked that they included that scene and it proves the idea that this is more than just a mindless action film, to me anyway. I also love that Emily VanCamp is in this! That was a nice surprise, her character was pretty awesome too though severely underdeveloped I might add, though I suppose she’s not considered much of a main character.

Overall, I would definitely buy this film on DVD, I think I still prefer Iron Man but Captain America is a great film/series all on its own and I can’t wait to see the next Avengers film!

I give it an 8/10 and it’s going on my DVDs to buy list! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment